If you have shopped for new Kitchen area cabinets not too long ago, you know that it really is usually significantly a lot more affordable to refinish your aged cabinets than to Buy new ones. Right here are 8 Ideas that will make your Kitchen area cabinet refinishing a large achievement.
1. If your cabinets are painted, clear away the paint with a chemical stripper. If your cabinets are stained or varnished, possibly clean the surface area very well or do away with most of the stain or varnish with a chemical refinisher.
2. Get the doors off your cabinets and do away with the handles and hardware. It will be substantially much easier if you lay the doors flat to get the job done on them.
3. Check to see how significantly hurt there is to the cabinets. If there is only small hurt, these as dark stains close to the door handles, just clean such places. Utilize a synthetic steel wool pad since it will not damage your fingers or purchase caught on the wood grain.
4. Dip the pad in paint thinner, mineral spirits, or turpentine, and scrub the stains. Then lightly scrub the complete surface area, cleansing and dulling it so the new finish will stick. 5. When you have cleaned the surface area and eliminated the dark stains, wipe on an oil-based mostly, distinct finish this kind of as Minwax. All apparent finishes are low-odor and most are readily available in possibly glossy or satin finish. Utilize various coats for a thicker finish.
6. If you come across you need to have to redo additional than just a several stained locations, Utilize a chemical refinisher - a strong solvent cleaner that dissolves and removes portion of the previous varnish. Inquire an professional at your neighborhood paint retailer to recommend a excellent top quality refinisher.
7. Once you are making use of the chemical refinisher, do the job in minor places, and scrub the finish with a synthetic steel wool pad. The chemical refinisher will take away the finish and even out the shade of the wood and stain. Rinse the pad in a lot more refinisher As soon as it will get clogged with dirty finish.
8. The cabinet's surface area must be sleek and evenly colored As soon as you have scrubbed the entire surface area. If you come across it isn't really, just wipe the whole cabinet in prolonged, overlapping strokes with clean refinisher and clean steel wool in extended, overlapping strokes. Most of the stain colour will stay, and the wood will be incredibly sleek.
It truly is really crucial that you put on protective clothes and make certain that your do the job local is perfectly-ventilated The moment you might be refinishing your cabinets. And do not neglect to stick to all security precautions on the refinishing solution labels.
By immediately after the 8 Ideas over, you might be confident to take pleasure in your freshly-refinished, wonderful Kitchen area cabinets for various decades.